Financial Aid

Financial Aid FAQ

How and when should I apply for federal financial aid?

Submit your  each year as soon as possible after January 1st. To expedite the process, use the IRS Data Retrieval tool to populate tax information directly into your FAFSA.  List Henderson’s school code, 001098.

Should I apply even if my income is high?

You are encouraged to apply even if you think you are not eligible. You must apply if you want to be considered for Federal Direct loans and/or work study.

Must I use my parent’s income even though I do not live with them and file my own tax return?

You must report biological or adopted parents’ income unless you qualify as independent student on the FAFSA.  See  for questions.

What is verification?

Verification is the process of reviewing the information reported on your FAFSA before any federal aid can be awarded.  The federal processing center selects up to 30% of all FAFSAs for verification.  Your Student Aid Report states if you are selected for verification. Henderson’s Financial Aid Office will send email requests to your Henderson email and all emails on the FAFSA listing the documents you need to submit to complete the process. If the information does not match we will correct your FAFSA.

How will I know how much financial aid is awarded?

You will receive an award letter at your Henderson email each time a new award is made. You can login to your  account and view current awards at any time.

How can I get my books?

日本一道本一二三区视频_一区二区三区高清视频_日本一本到道一区免费If your total charges are covered and you have unused funds from refundable aid (Pell Grant or state aid), you may use those funds to charge books at our on-campus Reddie Bookstore.  To do so, you must request book vouchers.

  • Login to your  and select Courses I Take
  • Select the Book Voucher link and choose Y for Yes from the drop-down menu.
  • Using your class schedule, reserve your books online at , then pick them up during registration.

If you have no unused funds from refundable aid, review your options to purchase or rent your books yourself.  Use the ISBN number for each book to comparison shop.

What happens to my financial aid if I drop a class?

Always check with the Financial Aid Office before you drop because you could lose your eligibility for scholarships, grants, loans, and/or work study due to Enrollment Retention requirements and/or Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. 

Your grace period for student loan repayment starts if you drop below half-time.  Get contact information for your loan servicer at .

What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw?

Always check with the Financial Aid Office before you withdraw because not only could you lose your eligibility, you may have to repay federal financial aid you were awarded. If you fail to complete any classes and received federal aid you may also have to repay. 

Your grace period for student loan repayment starts if you drop below half-time.  Get contact information for your loan servicer at .

Loan FAQs

How do I apply for a Federal Direct Stafford loan at HSU?

After your FAFSA file is completed by our office, we will award the maximum loans you are eligible to receive for fall/spring.  You must complete a Summer Loan Request Form to be awarded summer loans.

After your loan is awarded you will be notified at your Henderson email.  Then you must login to your  account to accept, reduce, or decline your loan awards.

Who must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling to receive a loan?

Before loan funds can be received, all first-time Federal Direct loan borrowers must complete both a .

When will my loan check be available?

If you are not a first-time freshman and you have completed both the , your check may be available at registration, provided you are enrolled at least half-time. Loan checks for first-time freshmen will be available 30 days after classes begin. You should check your financial aid awards on . Sign up for direct deposit to avoid the lines.

Can I still receive Federal student loans if I am not meeting satisfactory academic progress?

No.  Direct Stafford loans are a form of federal aid.  Not meeting satisfactory academic progress makes you ineligible for all federal aid programs.

My parent applied for a Direct Parent PLUS loan and was denied.  Can I request additional unsubsidized loans?

日本一道本一二三区视频_一区二区三区高清视频_日本一本到道一区免费If you have completed 0-59 hours you can submit a Loan Change Request form for an additional $4000.00 for the year.  If you have completed 60 or more hours you may request an additional $5000 per year.    Your actual award will depend on how much aid you have already been awarded.

I’m aviation major.  Can I borrow more Direct Stafford funds than other majors?

No.   are the same regardless of major.  Most aviation majors borrow the maximum Federal Direct loans and fill the gap with private student loans. 

What is the difference between a subsidized and an unsubsidized loan?

Subsidized loans are need-based and the federal government pays the interest on the loan while you are enrolled at least half-time.   Unsubsidized loans are not need-based and the federal government does not pay the interest on the loan; interest accrues even while you are enrolled at least half-time.  Learn more about types of loans .

Work Study FAQs

How do I qualify for work study?

日本一道本一二三区视频_一区二区三区高清视频_日本一本到道一区免费To determine if you are eligible for federal need-based or institutional non-need-based work study, contact the Financial Aid Office after we receive and process the results of your FAFSA.  Your eligibility for work study may change if you receive additional financial aid awards of any kind. You must remain enrolled full-time for institutional work study and at least half-time for federal work study. 

How do I apply for work study?

After your FAFSA results have been processed by our office and you have asked us if you are eligible for federal or institutional work study, apply in person with the departments in which you are most interested in working.  List of departments is available.  Submit the Drug Free Policy, Employment Eligibility Form I-9 and unexpired identify documents to the Financial Aid Office.

How will I be paid?

After you have completed all the above and a department has requested to hire you, the Financial Aid Office will issue a work-study contract.  After both you and your work-study supervisor sign the contract and return it to the Financial Aid Office, time cards will be issued for you from payroll.  You can then begin working the hours scheduled by your supervisor.  You will be paid minimum wage for the hours worked the previous month. You can pick up your monthly paycheck at the cashier’s window on the third floor of Womack Hall.